The Logical Question: Who am I?
In
the 1960s was popular to hear songs that encouraged us to think and reflect
about life. The Logical Song by Roger Hodgson, which reflected its authors
personal experience, included these words:
There are times when all the world's
asleep
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned?
I know it sounds absurd
Please tell me who I am
Everyone
at one time or another had a similar experience: thoughts and questions for
which we cannot figure out the answers. One night while thinking on questions
beyond my understanding, too deep for a simple mind, I decided to explore and
test some of the latest and best Artificial Intelligence applications. I wrote
in this “Conversation with AI” that I was a highly developed AI created by a
developer, an intelligent designer, far from planet Earth. The six or seven
applications I tested received the exact same text. One took my statements as a
possible fact. Therefore, asked scientific questions and enquired about the
other planet, etc. It took for granted that both life similar to human form and
extremely advanced AI was real in another galaxy. However, one of the
applications simply replied: “Have you shared this with a Mental Health
Professional?” I think that one passed the test. I will not list which ones
were tested, since I am not an expert on the subject. Nevertheless, contrary to
the argument of the experts on AI, this human creation will never know more than
a human being. It will have more data
and may be able to analyze more complex texts etc. But will never match the
human brain. After all, it will always be a human providing the data,
algorithms, updates, and developing its language. It may be able to win every
chess game, but what difference would that make to stop human violence, hatred,
genocides, injustice and so many social problems? Yes, scientists have
developed through the use of AI and other great technology, ways to deal with
illnesses and developed surgical tools that have been a great blessing.
Hopefully they will continue that track. Tragically some are already proposing
ways to use or misuse AI for the developing of weapons. It is already misused
by students in the academic world, when it can be properly used in scholarly
research. Something many are doing. That is another subject for another time in
a different context.
Let
us go back to Hodgson’s song. In his Logical Song there is embedded the logical
question: “Who am I?” Here is my brief answer in a “poem.” No, I am not a poet,
but conveniently I am taking some poetic license. Therefore, I wrote:
You
are a wonderful and perfect creation;
of
the Heavenly Father, you are a child,
of
the One who cares for us,
like
a Mother loves her daughters and sons
I
thank you L_d for creating us,
Humans
made in your image
To
love and care for each other
To
honour you with words and actions
Too
often, we stumble and fail,
Although
full of good intentions.
When
it seems there is no reason to live
Your
love empowers me to believe.
In a
world so full of sorrow
Believe
that there is still hope
In
times overwhelmed with doubts
Believe
that there is still faith
In
times of so much hate
Believe
that there is still love, and love is what is all about
Thank you, L_d,
because you are my G_d
and I am your
child.
We are your
people and you are our L_d.
May
the image of G_d shine through us.
May
we all be instruments of peace and love.
Shabbat
shalom!
No comments:
Post a Comment